Welcome to the living South African Sign Language Dictionary searchable by handshape, location, category or text.
Type a word in the search bar and click "GO" to search videos by text or
click on any of the picture buttons above, select an image, click 'INSERT' and then 'SEARCH' to search by 'HANDSHAPE', 'LOCATION' or 'CATEGORY.
- Real South African Sign Language (Realsasl.com) offers a comprehensive and accurate database of South African Sign Language signs.
- There are over 1500 signs available for users to learn from.
- To access the database, click on the "WORD LIST" button on the website.
- The website values the input of the Deaf community and allows Deaf members, with Sign Language as their first language, to upload videos.
- In cases where two or more signs exist for the same concept then Deaf users can vote for a sign they use more frequently.
- If Deaf users have any trouble uploading videos, they can contact Realsasl for assistance.
- Please be advised that while the videos available on realsasl.com and YouTube/realsasl are downloadable, they are protected by copyright and may not be used for commercial purposes or included in any training program where compensation is received. However, teachers are permitted to utilise this material in their classroom settings.
- Thank you for choosing Real South African Sign Language for your learning needs.